What is the Vagus nerve?
The Vagus nerve is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated nerves within the body. Most people have barely even heard of it, let alone know its phenomenal potential impact on their health. Just look at the image below to see where the Vagus nerve travels and what organs it effects. As you can see, it basically effects everything.
An overview of the Vagus Nerve:
- 10th cranial nerve and longest nerve in the body.
- Connects the brain stem to many organs of the body, including heart, lungs, stomach, large intestine, small intestine, uterus, kidneys, gall bladder, pancreas, spleen, liver, ears and tongue.
How the vagus nerve can lose ‘tone’ and therefore cause a multitude of health issues:
The vagus nerve is negatively impacted by significant physical or emotional trauma and/or viral and bacterial infections. As you can imagine, many, many people have impaired vagus nerve function.
How Transcutaneous Auricular Vagus Nerve Stimulation works:
Transcutaneous = passing, entering, or made by penetration through the skin.
Auricular = of or relating to the ear.
The Vagus Nerve is stimulated by placing TENS machine clips on specific points within the ear that demonstrate Vagus Nerve innervation. Various settings can be used as diagnosed by a trained practitioner. These settings include:
- Reduction in inflammatory response – used to reduce all symptoms of conditions associated with inflammation.
- Regulation of intestinal tight junctions – used to to heal Leaky Gut, Crohn’s Disease and most other digestive conditions.
- Reduction of neural inflammation – used to treat Parkinsons Disease, Alzheimer’s, Depression and Anxiety.
- Regulation of Atrial Fibriallation
The TENS machine provides a gentle tapping sensation which is utilised for between 10-30mins. An experienced practitioner will find a pateint’s ‘sweet spot’ ie. the right setting or combinations of settings, for the correct amount of time. As with all treatments, every patient is different.
Health conditions Transcutaneous Vagus Nerve Stimulation may help improve or cure:
- Depression + Anxiety. All digestive issues – including SIBO, Leaky gut, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, IBS, Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Insulin Resistance, general digestive issues, food intollerances.
- All types of inflammation – including Rheumatoid Arthritis, acute and chronic pain, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, migraine, headache.
- Hormonal imbalances, fertility delay, endometriosis, PCOS, painful periods.
- Atrial fibrillation.
Acupuncture + Transcutaneous Vagus Nerve Stimulation – The wonder treatment
Over the last 20 years I have trained in so many different modalities but absolutely nothing compares to the benefits witnessed (personally and professionally) from the combination of Acupuncture + Vagus Nerve Stimulation. It is mind blowing and I could seriously bore you with the benefits.
My decision to study Vagus Nerve Stimulation began after experiencing its profound health benefits. In 2017 I contracted a serious case of Influenza A that my body could just not shake. Eighteen months on and my health was irreparably changed, no matter how much treatment I received, I never felt like ‘me’ again. Enter Vagus Nerve Stimulation. From the 2nd day after my first treatment I finally felt like myself again. It was from this point that training in Vagus Nerve Stimulation seemed an essential skills I needed to obtain. Having utilised this combination on almost all of my patients since, I have witnessed profound health improvements including:
- Remission of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Remission of severe Ulcerative Colitis.
- MANY successful pregnancies that appeared unlikely to occur naturally.
- Significant reduction in many cases of chronic pain.
- Reduced or eliminated Atrial Fibrillation.
- Complete reduction in pain associated with endometriosis.
- Reduction of Anxiety and Depression.
- Significant reduction of IBS symptoms.
- Complete reduction of heartburn and reflux.
- Significant reduction in sinus and allergic rhinitis.
- Reduction in asthma and eczema.
- Significant general health improvements.
I am an absolute advocate for this treatment. I have seen it change lives profoundly. As a practitioner, it is such an exciting treatment to perform. If you, or anyone else you know, is not seeing the changes they would like to see in their health, I cannot recommend this combination highly enough.